what are the pros and cons of high school students working part- time?
-you make $ to pay for your car that gets you to school, work and out with friends.
-you help out your parents by buying your own clothes.
-you don’t need to ask mom and dad for $ every time you want to buy something
-having a job may negatively affect your grades, socialization with friends, exercise or extra curricular activities
I had a job in high school with early release privileges. I also moved out of my parents house when I was 18 and into my OWN apartment.
– Helps students learn the value of money and hard work before they are expected to be supporting themselves independently.
– Provides students with spending money for clothes, music, hanging out with friends etc.
– Empowers students by showing them the value of their labor and their ability to earn money.
– Potentially exposes students to different fields of employment or walks of life than they might come across in interacting with their family and at school.
– Part time work can interfere with school work or valuable after school activities.
– Overly committed kids may become unnecessarily stressed, and their health or grades could suffer.
I’m personally a big believer in kids working during high school, but think that work should be limited to a low number of hours (5 – 10?) and that school should come first. If their grades are suffering, they perhaps should quit the job and start working again during the summer.
- Academic Writing
- Case Study
- Critical Thinking
- Education Questions
- Essay Tips
- Essay Writing
- Free Essay Samples
- Free Essay Templates
- Free Essay Topics
- Human Resources
- Problem Solving
- Research Paper
- Review Writing
- Social Issues
- Speech Writing
- Term Paper
- Thesis Writing
- Writing Styles