A few days ago
Phil C

How would I start applying for a F-1 student visa for public school?

I know that in order to start applying for the F-1 visa, i would need to be accepted into a school, but what if I am planning to go to a public school? How would I get the public school F-1 Visa?

Once I get it, all I need is to sign up for the district high school my guardian is located in?

Also, after I get it, can I renew it after 12 months?

Top 2 Answers
A few days ago

Favorite Answer


There is only one type of F-1 visa.

It makes no difference if you are accepted to a private or public school. Both institutions will issue you with the Form I-20 and once you have this you would apply for the F-1 visa from the embassy in your home country.

I am not familiar with the procedures or the requirement to sign up for ‘the district high school’ nor do I really understand this part of your question. Perhaps someone else can clarify this for you, as it is 4:30am here.

If your third question is regarding can you renew your F-1 visa after 12 months when attending a public high school. Then the answer is no, students who attend public high schools in the U.S. are limited to twelve months of study.


Carrying on from my last paragraph.

If you are attending a private or public university (not high school), then when you enter the United States on a student (F-1) visa, you will usually be admitted for the duration of your student status (often abbreviated in your passport or on your I-94 card as “D/S”). That means you may stay as long as you are a full time student, even if the F-1 visa in your passport expires while you are in America.

If you were not admitted for the duration of your student status and want to renew your F-1 visa you will need to provide:

– A passport valid for at least six months

– Form DS-156, together with a Form DS-158. Some applicants will also be required to complete and sign Form DS-157. Blank forms are available without charge at all U.S. consular offices and on the Visa Services website under Visa Applications Forms

– A receipt for visa processing fee.

– A new I-20 or an I-20 that has been endorsed on the back by a school official within the past 12 months, stating your new length of studies.

If you need any further guidance then feel free to contact me directly.


5 years ago
No. You are out of status so you cannot change status. To attend school on an F-1 Visa you must first leave the USA, go back to Spain, and make your application the traditional way through the US embassy in Madrid.