What is the process for getting your child tested for a learning disability?
1) problems must be occuring such as the child is struggling with concepts in the class.
2) teacher begins a process (Often called Student Assistant Team or SAT) where as she must try different teaching methods and alterations to curriculum. She/he must document what is being done in the classroom. This process has a time standard to it, such as a few months where the teacher must try other things and document the outcomes.
3) SAT team meeting, to go over teacher documentation and decided if testing needs to be done.
4) SAT paperwork is then forwarded to the districts special education dept.
5) Special Ed reviews it for completeness and may accept the SAT packet as is or may request other things the teacher should try.
6) If testing is decided then a Individual Education Plan (IEP)Meeting is called. This is where the parents, teachers, administrators and school diagnostician putrs together an Evaluation Plan. This plan basically states what areas need to be tested such as academic, IQ, processing, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy or any other related services.
7) Most states have a time requirement from the Eval Plan date to the time testing must be done and another IEP to go over testing is set. In my district this time limit is 60 days.
8) Based on diganostic testing services will be rendered as to what the child needs assistance with.
Yes it seems slow and tediuis and it starts with the teacher. If the teacher doesn’t do the SAT then things will never happen. I have seen kids where the teachers don’t want to bother with SAT and it is really sad!!
Edit: I forgot to add that vision and hearing needs to be checked and passed before testing will commence. Usually can be done my the school nurse but if problems show up you may have to take him to get glasses or further ear examinations.
- Academic Writing
- Case Study
- Critical Thinking
- Education Questions
- Essay Tips
- Essay Writing
- Free Essay Samples
- Free Essay Templates
- Free Essay Topics
- Human Resources
- Problem Solving
- Research Paper
- Review Writing
- Social Issues
- Speech Writing
- Term Paper
- Thesis Writing
- Writing Styles