A few days ago

Financial aid?

Hey everyone. I am 21 years old and have been looking to go back to school. My income is incredibly small and by that measure, I should receive a lot of money in grants. However, because I am under the age of 24 I am considered a dependent of my parents still and my financial aid eligibility is based on their income so I receive nothing, even though they don’t support me financially. The only way that I can file as independent is if I happen to have a baby. Well, I ended up getting pregnant and this past Tuesday, I was only 21 weeks and was induced because the baby had a fatal birth defect. She was born alive, but only lived 7 minutes. I hope I don’t sound awful for saying this, but could I still use that to file as an independent to go back to school? The hospital said she would get a social security number and that would help with taxes. I don’t know about financial aid. I feel it would help me heal to do something positive with my life like school right now. Thanks

Top 3 Answers
A few days ago

Favorite Answer

No, you would still not be considered independent on your FAFSA. The child would have to be living with you and receiving more than half of its support from you now and through the end of the academic year in order to qualify as your dependent. Since the child is deceased, it would not meet this requirement, therefore you could not answer YES that you currently have a dependent child.

A few days ago
Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your child.

Unfortunately, since the child has passed away, it is not considered a ‘dependent’ and therefore you are unable to claim that child on your FAFSA.

Why don’t you consider starting part-time in school. While you may not receive anything from FAFSA because you will still have to use your parents information, you can still qualify for a Stafford Loan.

Since your child has passed, you should do some research for scholarships. You’d be surprised what you can find.

I wish you the best of luck.


4 years ago
particular. in the event that they have finished the paintings, put in the attempt, are academically qualified and are citizens of the state then they might desire to get the learning they have earned. Their mothers and fathers pay the revenues and sources taxes that pay for the ed platforms. those youngsters you’re asking approximately have been further here as infants and youngsters and, for all intents and applications, are “from here”. Why no longer label somebody dropped at California from Minnesota while they have been an toddler a non-resident, too? As a member of a protracted-time CA relatives, i does no longer suggestions seeing all the out-of-staters handled like the foreign places colonists they are. We had a impressive state till it crammed up with Mid-Westerners and Southerners. what isn’t honest is letting an all-American slacker who spends extra time stressful what’s due him that he hasn’t earned than reading get the financial help that could desire to settle for in accordance to academic advantage.