meaning of the word commission?
2. an authoritative order, charge, or direction.
3. authority granted for a particular action or function.
4. a document granting such authority.
5. a document conferring authority issued by the president of the U.S. to officers in the Army, Navy, and other military services, and by state governments to justices of the peace and others.
6. the power thus granted.
7. the position or rank of an officer in any of the armed forces.
8. a group of persons authoritatively charged with particular functions: a parks commission.
9. the condition of being placed under special authoritative responsibility or charge.
10. a task or matter committed to one’s charge; official assignment: The architect received a commission to design an office building.
11. the act of committing or perpetrating a crime, error, etc.: The commission of a misdemeanor is punishable by law.
12. something that is committed.
13. authority to act as agent for another or others in commercial transactions.
14. a sum or percentage allowed to agents, sales representatives, etc., for their services: to work on a 20 percent commission.
–verb (used with object) 15. to give a commission to: to commission a graduate of a military academy.
16. to authorize; send on a mission.
17. to give the order that places a warship, military command, etc., in a state of complete readiness for active duty.
18. to give a commission or order for: The owners commissioned a painting for the building’s lobby.
- Academic Writing
- Case Study
- Critical Thinking
- Education Questions
- Essay Tips
- Essay Writing
- Free Essay Samples
- Free Essay Templates
- Free Essay Topics
- Human Resources
- Problem Solving
- Research Paper
- Review Writing
- Social Issues
- Speech Writing
- Term Paper
- Thesis Writing
- Writing Styles