A few days ago
Trudy M

How can my daughter get her student loan paid or discharged?

She has a degree in ISM

Top 4 Answers
A few days ago

Favorite Answer

Hi Trudy,

If it’s a private loan, then all she can do is pay it.

If it’s a government loan like Stafford or Perkins, there are a few ways to get them forgiven, but it takes some kind of service. Joining the Peace Corp or VISTA is one way.

Another way is to teach in certain areas or subjects. For Perkins Loans, here are the possibilities:

Teacher in a school serving students from low-income families; or

Special-education teacher, including teachers of infants, toddlers, children, or youth with disabilities; or

Teacher in the fields of mathematics, science, foreign languages, or bilingual education, or in any other field of expertise determined by a state education agency to have a shortage of qualified teachers in that state.

For Stafford Loans, to qualify, you must have been employed as a full-time teacher for five consecutive complete academic years in an elementary or secondary school that has been designated as a “low-income” school by the U.S. Department of Education.

There are other requirements, as well.

Those are the most common ways to get student loans forgiven.

Good luck,



A few days ago
Have her marry some great guy like my son! He married a great girl with a Masters and he’s now paying off her student loan! He’s a mailman, they have 2 little boys and a house.. She works as a teacher at the daycare where the kids go, since they won’t hire her in public school system>Not Enough Experience! Someday, I guess she’ll start making money on that Master’s Degree!

A few days ago
There is a site at www.studentloanassistance.net

It has a large amount of information about student loans and student debt that might help you.


A few days ago
She could get a job.